Saturday, July 6, 2013

What I Love About Summertime

The summer is half over and it is hot here in the desert.  We have had temperatures of 100+ since the first day of June.  There doesn't seem to be any relief of that in the near future and after a big ole monsoon storm yesterday, we have the humidity to match.  But, I am not complaining.  I love summertime.

Here are some things I love about summertime:

  • The sun shines all the time in Tucson.  Even on a monsoon day, it will find a way to peak through the clouds after the storm.
  • I love monsoon storms, especially the much needed rain, but the thunder and lightening that lights up the sky is incredible, as long as it doesn't start a fire on a mountain somewhere.
  • The pool is open and the water is warm.  Warm as bath water.
  • I love lounging around the pool and relaxing on my float in the pool.
  • The sky is the bluest blue I have ever seen. Sometimes, those storms bring in the most amazing clouds to create a blue and white mosaic across the sky.
  • That mosaic sky creates the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets I have ever seen.
  • I love having people over for a late afternoon swim and BBQ.
  • I love being able to show Augie his first summer through my eyes and his.  First swims, first sounds of thunder, first sounds of birds singing, first sighting of birds splashing in the fountain.  A summer of firsts.
  • I know that Sojo will be here soon and begin to enjoy all of these things:  Otter Pops, Popo's Veggie Soup and Meatballs, getting up early with Gong Gong (she and he are the early morning risers in this house), Netflix on TV, watching more TV than normal because she can, bouncing on her bed (yes, I know I never should have allowed that), going to Gaslight Theatre and laughing so hard at the craziness of it, swimming 2-3 times a day, everyday, watching the stars come out at night and being told that she is loved to the moon and back and that no matter how far we are from one another, we all live under the same moon.  Being together for a short time, but doing it 24/7 and squeezing as much juice out of the summer as humanly possible.
  • Family time when all the chicks are in the nest along with all the chicklets, enjoying time around the pool or on the mountain. 
  • Cousins having their first summer together.
  • Siblings making time for one another.
  • Getting that summer family picture to capture it all and hold it close.

What's not to love about summer?  When it ends...  Until then, we will enjoy each moment and be grateful for the blessing in it all.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment